Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Minam Mayhem

Life in Minam is not for the faint of heart...

Mothra and I have come to terms with each other. 'Round these parts, the evening light fluttering critter that I'm known to run screaming from, comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. There's no fear of moths in the canyon because I am far out numbered. In order to cope with the magnitude of the moth infestation, I ask myself "What Would Grandma Wilma Do?" (WWGWD?). This is a running joke in the family but good in times of question. So, I grab my Audubon Field Guide to the Pacific Northwest and start identifying.

Often found mid-day kickin' back on a screen door sippin' a Corona. Not very mouthy, just likes to look pretty and lay about. About 2"-4" big. I know, that's bad vocabulary but have you seen my spelling? And this other moth here is like your grandpa. Sits back with a bud light and watches shit go by. About 4"-5" big (country talk). Can't identify the damn thing - he's not in the book so WWGWD? We named it the Skunk Moth.

I don't fear moths anymore - I can't. Not with all these flying things around me.
Let me not fail to mention there are two flying insect events occurring at this time. The Flying of the Drones = when flying ants are leaving the nest, and the Mating of the Catis Flies = Doubled up two inch long flying fish foods with no sense of direction.

It's quiet here. You aren't surprised by this? These are the sounds of the Minam Valley: a car passing on the freeway, a mosquito in your ear, Nugget barking at deer, the river rushing by, rafters "puttin' in", the washer cleanin' linens, the coffee pot brewin' in the morning, the Red-winged Blackbirds trill.

These are the sounds from NoPo I don't miss: The sound of Bus 4 & 72 roaring by - sometimes in tandem - starting at five in the morning, the neighbors and their four-day-consecutive-two-a.m.-damned-domino-game, the teenagers from Jefferson and Rosemary Academy talking in their normal 200 decibel tone of voice at seven-thirty in the morning, the sound of drunk footsteps coming up the apartment stairs at two-thirty am.

Have I revealed that I don't like my sleep disturbed much?

There is so much to marvel at, here in Minam. I am looking forward to doing some bird identification. King Fishers cruise the river behind the motel. I am also enjoying keeping the motel in fine shape - cleaning the rooms while remembering the love and intention that Uncle Chuck put into maintaining this place. So far, it's what I think about while I am on my hands in knees scrubbing the bathrooms floors. It's an honor to be here - to be trusted to care for this magical place.

And my sisters are here with me for a week and a half. It's a pleasure to get some time with them before I head out to Idaho.

Some family came out to memorialize Chuck and enjoy a weekend in Minam - and help me relocate (thanks Hanna, Lindizzle, Dad, Mom...) At the memorial, we had a nice jam session and I sang some Bonnie Raitt songs with some amazing and kind musicians (friends of Chuck and Dawn).

Later, in the evening - we danced to records, played some Nurf football and Frisbee in the school house. Lots-o-liquid including a polishing off of a bottle of private reserve Bush's Pilot's whiskey - and potluck goods were consumed in great portions. In true Minam style - we partied our asses off - in remembrance.

I am taking Nugget into the vet now for a Buddy (my cat) related injury. Yesterday, Maggie & Jeff's Golden Retriever spooked Buddy who proceeded to attack Nugget - ripping off a quarter sized circle of flesh on Nugget's underside. Up until then, Nugget has been enjoying the freedom of roaming the grounds - chasing deer - and peeing freely. She's even got a tan - her skin has turned a tone of black/gray and her coat has become darker. Mine is staying white with all this sunblock. And that's the way we like it.

We love it here.

3 comments:

Jeff, Maggie, Mackie said...

Hey Chelsia, We had such a nice visit with you! How is nugget? We were very worried about him. What did you end up doing?
Maggie

Unknown said...

Nugget ended up going to the vet the next day and the vet took her in and got her out in matter of five minutes, literally. They pulled off the dead flap of skin, tossed some ointment on her and called it good for $40!
She's great. It's healing nicely and everything is good here.
I really enjoyed visiting with the two of you as well. And it was a surprise - I had forgotten you would be through so quickly. So thank you for coming by.
I love you all and look forward to seeing you again soon.

cindy Gregg said...

Chelsia,
I am glad you had such a positive experience in Minam. What a wonder that must have been. Living there for a time. I always wanted to do that, just for a short time.